Thursday, August 5, 2010

Home (Unbelievably) Sweet Home

We are home (finally)!! I say finally because it took us about 36 hours to get from Maui to Colorado.  To make a super super long story short.  We got to the airport around 7 pm in Maui and quickly found out our incoming airplane had a busted windshield and it would be a minumum of a 3 hour delay.  Making our new departure time 1:30 a.m.  WHAT???  We were warned of a cancellation so we quickly rebooked to leave out the next day at 1 p.m.  Sounds simple, right? WRONG!  By the time we rebooked and got all that taken care of it was midnight and no hotels near the airport were available.  Then we had to rent a car because the taxi was ridiculous.  So, we go to our hotel (beach front motel - NASTY) at 1:00 a.m.   Got about 4-5 hours of sleep and headed back to the airport.  I was originally going to drop off Steph and the kids and Andrew and I were to fly out that evening.  Oh, did I mention we were doing a red eye from Maui to Los Angeles,  Los Angeles to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to Denver ?  Crazy, right?  Well I was able to get on an earlier flight but I still had to make the ridiculous trek to Minneapolis.  Wrong way!!

So, I'll skip the 3 1/2 hour lay over in LA and late departure out of there that made us RUN through the Minneapolis airport to catch our Denver flight  -  yes our name was being called through the airport making us aware we would not make the flight if we did not check -in in the next 10 minutes.  Oh, right. I said I'd skip that part.

So, after a total of 6 hours of sleep in 48 hours we finally arrived back home.  Only to find out Andrew's booster seat had been lost because they made me gate check it in Maui.  Once the lost luggage counter in Baggage Claim finally opened (yes we had to wait)  we got a loaner and we were on our way.   Oh and did I mention my flip flop broke when we got to Denver?  Apparently it was done traveling too! ;-)  I seriously couldn't make this stuff up.  Yes, it really happened.  I was thankful the flip flop waited until Denver to give out.  I could just see myself running barefoot through the Minneapolis airport. Ya, that 's not tacky. 

 I apologize, I was supposed to give a short story but it appears I've given the long... well there are lots of little stories in between but I guess this is the short long version.

Bottom line. We are home.  I slept 12 hours last night and Andrew slept 16.  I finally woke him up at 11 so he would sleep tonight.  :)

Lots and lots of photos to come.  Off to finish the LAST load of Laundry.  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Because I can't post without a picture... here is one of the kids at the aquarium in Maui before all the chaos happened. 


Michelle Whitlow said...

Oh my gosh, what a crazy trip home!! Glad you made it home safe and sound (and got some sleep!!)

gaga said...

Glad you're home safe and sound.....
Mom :)

Tami said...

Thanks Michelle & Mom!